Why is it important to celebrate “International Day of the Girl”? Below is a letter I received yesterday, giving some very good reasons.
According to the latest research:
- 200 million girls are “missing” from the world today.
- 98% of sex slaves are female. Demand is rising for younger girls.
- 90% of poor families in India do not educate their girls.
- 52 million girls under the age of 18 are forced to marry each year.
- Girls will invest 90% of what they earn back into their families.
- Girls who are safe, free, equipped and know their God-given value will raise the next generations of boys and girls to be safe, free, educated and contributing.
For at-risk girls,
Founder & CEO
- Girls and women are made in God’s image, equal with men, blessed by God (Genesis 1:27,28a)
- As believers in Christ, girls and women share in the exact same blessings as men (Galatians 3:27-29; Joel 2:29)
- In the home, a woman’s position is to be seen equal to the church’s position in Christ. She is to be sacrificially cared for in the same way Christ cares for and cherishes his bride, the church. (Ephesians 5:25)
- Women played an important role in Old Testament History
- Deborah an Old Testament judge/ruler over Israel, was and still is revered by the Jewish people. (Judges 4-5)
- Esther, the Jew, was wife to a conquering king who saved the entire nation of Israel from near extinction (An entire book was written about her.)
- Ruth the Moabite was a widow who chose to follow God and care for her former mother-in-law when she could have returned to her own people. By her act of kindness, God orchestrated her to be in the lineage of Christ. (An entire book was written about her.)
- Rahab, was a prostitute of non-Jewish descent, who chose God over her own nation and religion in order to help God’s people take the land of Jericho. She also ended up in the lineage of Christ
- 4 women are mentioned in Christ’s lineage (Matthew 1 – Tamar, Rahab, Ruth, and “the wife of Uriah” or Bathsheba)
- Women played an important role in the New Testament church (Mary the mother of Jesus, a woman who was “highly favored of the Lord“; Mary who would forever be remembered as the one who anointed Jesus for his burial Matthew 26:13; Mary Magdalene the first to meet the risen Christ John 20; various women mentioned as extremely helpful and important in the early New Testament church – [Mary, Joanna, Susanna] Luke 8:1-3; [Lydia] Acts 16:11-15; [Priscilla] Romans 16:3-4 and Acts 18:26; Romans 16:1-2; [Junia or Julia] Romans 16:7 (I found many of these names through an article in Wikipedia “Paul the Apostle and Women”, sections “Female Disciples and Epistolary Evidence
For those who know you are deeply loved and safe, remember not all girls and women are. They may be within your family, within your neighborhood, and certainly throughout the world.
Thank God for your position, and pray today especially for those who are not so fortunate.
Should you wish to do more, click on “She is Safe” and you will find other opportunities.