Over the next few weeks we’ll take an in depth look at the purpose and necessity of regular Bible reading for those of us who call ourselves by Christ’s name.
Each post will discuss a different aspect of God’s Word and how it’s crucial for us to flourish in our daily lives.
Relationships are built on words and actions…
Before we were married, my husband loved to surprise me by hiding sticky notes around my house. He and I lived two hours away from each other and usually saw each other only on Saturdays. Searching for his love notes became a game, and finding them meant a great deal. After almost seven years of marriage, some of these notes remain tacked to the lids of jars and the sides of cupboard doors – each a reminder of his quest to win my heart.
His notes and the continuity of his care over time altered how I viewed myself and world. I was no longer a a grieving widow. I became the beloved of Gary Seaton. His dreams and mine became our dreams as we grew together. No longer did I see myself alone, but someone cherished and chosen.
God’s relationship with His bride is also built on His Words and actions…..
My husband’s words and deeds also transformed how I viewed him. When we met, he was no more than a stranger with an intriguing story. Through his words and actions, his story melded with my story and he became the only man with whom I wanted to share my life.God's Word - His love letters to us - and the actions of His Son are meant to woo us to Himself, and then transform us from slaves of sin into beloved of the King. Click To Tweet
And to the husbands, you are to demonstrate love for your wives with the same tender devotion that Christ demonstrated to us, his bride. For he died for us, sacrificing himself to make us holy and pure, cleansing us through the showering of the pure water of the Word of God. All that he does in us is designed to make us a mature church for his pleasure, until we become a source of praise to him—glorious and radiant, beautiful and holy, without fault or flaw.
Ephesians 5:25-27 (TPT)
Do we as believers and followers of Jesus Christ view ourselves as His bride? Consider this for a moment, “We have been given the gift of being chosen to marry the King of the Universe. We who were once traitors to His name have been not only pardoned, but elevated to royalty!
How high a priority is preparing ourselves to be the best marriage partner possible? Spending time reading and re-reading God’s Word, and yielding to the instruction of the Holy Spirit are the only way we as followers of Jesus can prepare for the highest honor of any human.
Within God’s Word we will find:
- The dreams and desires He has for us as His bride.
- Thousands of years of testimonies from those who experienced His immense love and faithfulness – showing that He as a partner can be trusted.
- Depictions as well as descriptions of the depths to which He will go to to win us as His bride.
- Promises to those who accept His hand – for favor, protection, and an inheritance befitting their new station.
- Training and instruction as to how we are to change from thinking and acting like slaves to living as the royalty he rescued us to become.
What is our response to God’s plan and Christ’s proposal?
- Give God’s Word the status of love letters?
- Read and re-read them hanging on every syllable in order to burn each word into our memories?
- Long to share Christ’s dreams for us as His bride?
- Take the time to learn of Christ’s dreams for our relationship?
- Allowing the Word of God and the power of the Holy Spirit to transform us so we develop our ability to function as Christ’s bride?
- Clinging to old ways instead?
This day awaits those of us who accept Christ’s proposal and glory in God’s plan for us…
Then I heard again what sounded like the shout of a vast crowd or the roar of mighty ocean waves or the crash of loud thunder:
“Praise the Lord!
For the Lord our God, the Almighty, reigns. Let us be glad and rejoice,
and let us give honor to him.
For the time has come for the wedding feast of the Lamb,
and his bride has prepared herself.
She has been given the finest of pure white linen to wear.”
For the fine linen represents the good deeds of God’s holy people.
Revelation 19:6-8 (NLT)
A Flourishing life lives and thinks as the King’s beloved. We can only know how to live such a life when we saturate our minds and hearts with the love letters left for us by the King.
To reflect further on this topic…
- The Power of the Bible to Sustain Us
- A Fresh Look at My Role in Christianity
- Reading the Manufacturer’s Instructions
- Keeping Beauty in Its Rightful Place – How God’s Word affects how we view ourselves
- The Gift of the Word
We’ll look at: “How we receive God’s Word speaks volumes as to how well we receive Him.”
Should you wish to contact me privately, you may do so through emailing me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, feel free to leave a comment below!
Seeking a Flourishing life with you,